In September 2015, over 3,800 adult members of our parish completed a parishioner engagement survey, the ME25. The results showed that 32% of the people who responded answered the questions in a way that demonstrates parishioner engagement. This compares to a national average of 16% among all Catholics. Over this past year, ministry leaders identified 4 key areas of engagement that we will focus on together as a parish:
Why are we doing this?
- My parish has opportunities to LEARN & GROW.
- My SPIRITUAL NEEDS are being met.
- Someone in the parish TALKED TO ME about the progress of my spiritual growth.
- I have received RECOGNITION OR PRAISE from someone in my parish.
Consider our parish mission statement:
We the people of St. Laurence are centered in the love of Christ and live to glorify God in all we do.
Are we doing that? Are we even close? How do we help others know Jesus Christ so they can live their life here on earth as one of his disciples? This is the goal. To help one another to be centered in the love of Jesus and demonstrate that love in all we do.
LENT/EASTER 2017: Focus on ways to CONNECT
"In the last six months, someone has talked to me about the progress
of my spiritual growth."
When this statement appeared on the ME25 survey, 54% of our parishioners either disagreed or strongly disagreed. Isn't it interesting that many of us are willing to discuss personal details about our health, job and family, but tend to avoid discussing issues related to our faith? Here we are, members of the same church, but we are not talking about our spiritual growth!
Let's START TALKING about God!
When we overcome our reluctance to talk about our own faith life, we inspire others to grow on their own journey of faith. Sharing our authentic selves with others allows us to learn, grow, connect and love in our lives... not only with one another, but with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Take Fr. Drew up on his PASTOR'S CHALLENGE!
This Lent and Easter, Fr. Drew wants us to CONNECT with one another and talk about God. If you don't find it easy to talk about God, just remember that "GOD IS LOVE"... so PART ONE of the Pastor's Challenge is this:
1. Every day for one week, say words of love and kindness to someone in your family or social environment.
PART TWO takes it a step further...
2. Invite someone who is unchurched or inactive in their faith to join you for one Sunday Mass at St. Laurence, and tell them in a compelling way why you go and how you experience God's love there.
We can do this! Take the challenge and LET'S START TALKING ABOUT GOD!